How to Repair Terrazzo Flooring
Many property owners are choosing to use terrazzo for their floors and etc. terrazzo certainly add beauty to a place, home or building. By means of regular cleaning and maintenance, the terrazzo could provide beautiful ambiance for a long period of time. But, if terrazzo in your home got scathed and damaged, it loses its shine and beauty. On the other hand, there is always a way of saving them and this is through a terrazzo restoration job. Scratched surface areas can actually be repaired using a terrazzo repair kit. In between the refinishing, it is recommended for you to apply a good quality wax in a regular basis in order to protect the terrazzo stones from any further damages thus keeping it shiny and glossy.
Below are the ways on how to repair terrazzo flooring at home:
1. With the use of a good cleaner product, clean the floor thoroughly. Make sure that there are no dirt left on the area. Choose a highly formulated cleaner suitable for terrazzo stones. Choose a product that is pH balanced. Use the product and apply it to the terrazzo, following the instructions from the label or manufacturer. Then, mop the floor. Leave the cleaning solution to stay on the floor for about some minutes to loosen the dirt. Keep doing this step. If you notice that the water you are using is becoming dirty and dark, just change and prepare a new solution again.
2. To remove the old wax on the terrazzo as well as the other protective finishes, you can use a good floor stripper product. First, focus on a small area until you have finished the entire terrazzo floors. Apply an ample amount of solution and wait for at least 20-30 minutes. Afterwards, clean the area with a mop and clean water. Frequently change the water for rinsing.
3. Fix the cracks by utilizing a terrazzo repair kit. Simple adhere to the instructions attached to the kit. The kit comes with a polymer resin that can be used in repairing cracks and divots on the terrazzo. Buy a kit that closely matches the colour of the terrazzo you are going to repair. Nevertheless, for more comprehensive approach, you will need to use a terrazzo floor grinder, a tool used to make the surfaces smooth.
4. Now, you are ready to polish the terrazzo floors. To do this, you need to use an electric floor buffer. Run the buffer and use a lambs wool pad to prevent patchy finish.
5. Put some clear polyurethane so that the floor would not absorb dirt and stains. Moreover, it is also recommended to apply some polyurethane to the floor and use a lambs wool paint roller. Simply re-roll the roller twice or thrice to avoid streaking.
6. Lastly, for high-gloss effect just buff the floor again.